Getafe coach Jose Bordalas said that the Spanish club will help English striker Mason Greenwood to “recover his best levels” after his injury. Season-long loan move from Manchester United.
This came after accusations were leveled against the player, including attempted rape and assault. Dropped in February.
Greenwood was not included in Getafe’s squad Saturday lost to Real Madrid 2-1.
Speaking after the La Liga match at the Bernabeu, Bordalas said: “The situation is so delicate that this issue cannot be underestimated.
“Everyone knows what happened, and appropriate measures have been taken,” he added.
“Obviously we can only talk about football, about other issues, I think the relevant people and systems did what they had to do and everyone knows how it ended – without a conviction.
“He’s a footballer of the highest level, and he comes to Getafe with great hope. We’ll help him get back to his best form.”
United said the move to Spain “enables Greenwood to begin rebuilding his career away from Manchester United”.
The United Academy graduate was arrested in January 2022 following allegations relating to material posted online.
In a statement last month, Greenwood admitted he had “made mistakes” and took “his share of the responsibility”, but added: “I did not do the things I was accused of”.
“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the online material did not provide a complete picture and that Mason did not commit the offenses with which he was originally accused,” United’s statement read in August.
Greenwood, who has a contract with Old Trafford until 2025, has scored 35 goals in 129 games for the club since making his debut in 2019 at the age of 17.
He has not played for United since his arrest, and in October 2022 he was charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault causing actual bodily harm.
Following his arrest, Nike terminated their sponsorship deal with Greenwood and Electronic Arts removed him from active Fifa 22 squads.
After the charges were dropped in February 2023, the Public Prosecution Service said that key witnesses had withdrawn and new material had emerged, meaning that “there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.”
United then launched an internal investigation into the player, who had previously been named one of the most valuable players in Europe’s top five leagues.
Announcing the outcome of the investigation, United said: “All concerned, including Mason, are aware of the difficulties he faces in resuming his career at Manchester United.”
“It was therefore mutually agreed that it would be appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford,” he added.